Do all divorces end up in court?

Fortunately, no. It is certainly possible to decide the terms of divorce in mediation if both parties are willing to participate.

What is a legal marital separation?

Separation is different than divorce in that the parties remain legally married, but are recognized as not living together. Contact our office today for more information.

Do all couples separate before divorcing?

No. Many couples decide to end their marriages once and for all and move quickly through divorce proceedings.

How is custody of children decided?

In California, courts are required to, among other things, determine custody arrangements based on what they perceive to be in the best interests of the child or children in question.

What is the difference between physical and legal custody?

Simply put: a spouse who has physical custody of their children lives with them and is responsible for their day-to-day well-being. Legal custody means that you have the right to make decisions regarding their care, such as determining which schools they attend and matters relating to healthcare, among others.

Will I have to pay my spouse alimony?

It’s impossible to answer that question without knowing your specific circumstances, but it is important to realize not all divorces result in spousal support requirements. Contact our office to learn more.

Will I have to continue working with my former spouse?

Not if you don’t want to! If you and your former spouse owned a business together, there is no law that requires you both to continue employment with one another. Whatever your situation, we can help you make a case for the outcome you want.

Will all of our assets be divided equally?

Not necessarily. Only the assets determined to be “community property” are subject to distribution, and there are many mitigating factors that play into these agreements.

Is my spouse entitled to assets I owned prior to our marriage?

Most likely, no. If you inherited land from a relative and were in possession of it before you were married, it likely won’t be considered community property. Contact our office to learn more.

What can I do if my spouse falsely accused me of domestic violence?

If your spouse accused you of domestic violence in an attempt to subvert the legal divorce and custody process, we will fight on your behalf. We can help you file the appropriate paperwork and begin the process of reinstating your rights.

Zimmerman Law Offices has been helping Petaluma and Sonoma County families overcome legal challenges pertaining to family law for nearly four decades. Contact our office at (707) 763-9525 for more information.